AGE / GENDER/ NATIONALITY:
62 / Male / Malaysian
DATE OF APPOINTMENT:
BOARD COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIPS:
- Chairman, Board Nomination and Remuneration Committee
- Member, Board Audit Committee
DIRECTORSHIP IN OTHER PUBLIC COMPANIES AND LISTED ISSUERS:
- Director, S P Setia Berhad
- Director, UMW Holdings Berhad
- Director, Worldwide Holdings Berhad
- Director, Maybank Islamic Berhad
- Director, Pelaburan Hartanah Berhad
EXPERIENCE/ACHIEVEMENT AND OCCUPATION:
- Dato’ Azmi is the Senior Partner of Azmi & Associates, a full service corporate and commercial law firm of more than 85 lawyers, based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The firm, Azmi & Associates under his leadership is recognised as one of the largest law firms (by size) in Malaysia.
- He is an experienced and is one of the leading corporate lawyers in Malaysia with expertise in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, cross-border transactions, project finance, privatisation, energy, oil and gas and foreign investments.
- Prior to his endeavour in private practice, Dato’ Azmi had spent 6 1/2 years as an in-house counsel of PETRONAS. He was involved in projects of national importance for Malaysia and negotiated and concluded the NGPSA, a major gas development project for Malaysia, in 1990. His accomplishments as a corporate lawyer are well noted and have earned him numerous awards, accolades and recognitions from reputed international legal publications. He won the prestigious Legal 500 Hall of Fame for M&A/Corporate for three consecutive years, 2020-2022, Distinquished M&A Practitioner for AsiaLaw 2020, International Law Office 2016 Clients Choice Award for Malaysia in Mergers & Acquisitions, and other international publications.
- Currently, he serves as a Director of Terralex, a Florida-based world-wide network of 155 law firms with 20,000 lawyers within its member firms spanning across 100 jurisdictions world-wide. He is also a Director of the Institute of Corporate Directors Malaysia.
ACADEMIC/ PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master of Laws (LLM) in the United States of America & Global Business Law, University of Suffolk, Boston Massachusetts, United States of America.
- Bachelor of Law LLB (Hons), Universiti Malaya.